Dr. ing. Gabriela Berechet
Faculty of Food science and engineering, “Dunarea de Jos” University of Galați (1990)
Doctor in Industrial engineering (2007), “Dunarea de Jos” University of Galați – ”Influence of unconventional methods of food processing on nutrients retention in food commodities”.
Involved in culinary education since 1997, my professional objective was to develop de education within the Romanian gastronomy, as a lecturer but also as a trainer of national culinary teams for international cooking competitions. Founder of culinary contest “Golden chef of Bucharest – Old Romanian gastronomy in a new style”, my aim was to promote de charming taste of the Romanian dishes.
Nutritional changes nowadays request a different approach, using technics and technologies that allow to save the taste in balance with a healthy living style. Cooking is art and science! In more than 150 years Romanian dishes changed the recipe’s accordingly with the available ingredients, culinary technics, time availability. The paper intend to reveal the changes from nutritional point of view by researching 10 representatives cooking books and the last national cooking book and contemporary methods that could increase de nutritive values from some traditional Romanian dishes. Since 1998 she has been part of the National Culinary Arts Master’s Team, and since 2005 has coordinated all national or regional teams that have participated in international gourmet competitions (International Kremlin Cup – 2005, 2006 / Malta Culinarija – 2007 / Global Chef Challenge Semifinal South – Europe – Bled – 2007 / Mediterranean Challenge Cup – 2008, Istanbul Culinary Competition – 2009, World Cup of Expogast Bucharest – 2010, International Catering Cup, Lyon – 2011 and 2013, Erfurt Bucharest Olympics -2008, 2012, 2016 ), International Pastry Milano – 2015).
She also coordinated the national gastronomic competitions (Balada Top Trophy – all 5 editions from 2007 to 2012) and initiated the first contest for the promotion of traditional national gastronomy in the modern style “The Golden Chef of Bucharest”, carried out from 2009 until 2012.
The practical experience gained in restaurant kitchens in France, Belgium, Cyprus, Romania has strengthened professional skills, being the author / coordinator of occupational standards Chief cook, Specialist / vegetarian / dietician, Eating technologist and Quality culinary inspector, author of the Handbook (2007) and co-author of the Restaurant Director’s Manual, and of the brochure for culinary production in tourist hostels from the Educational Package for Tourist Hostels. In 2016, Imprima Publishing House of Bucharest saw the light of his latest book, The Book of Professional Chef, and in 2018 he released the Pastry Shop Confectioner’s Book.
Master trainer at Fitness Scandinavia School, Gabriela Berechet teaches since the opening of the Nutritionist Technician’s Nutritionist module Gastrotehnie – a healthy and savory diet.
1. Berechet, G., Segal, R. (2006) Influence of microwave heating on some B vitamins and minerals in traditional Romanian dishes, DKMT Conference, Timişoara, Fiziologia (16) supplement 1, ISSN: 1223 – 2076, p. 21
2. Berechet, G., Segal, R. (2005) Influence of microwave heating on nutrients in food commodities, Buletin informativ Euro-Aliment, Galaţi, Abstract supplement, ISSN: 1015 – 1365, p. 135 – 138
3. Berechet, G., Segal, R. (2004) Cooking methods – influence on obesity, Informative buletin Healthy eating foundation nr. 15 ISSN: 1023 – 1816, Sinaia
4. Berechet, G., Segal, R. (2003) Unconventional methods of cooking. Microwaves in cooking. Informative buletin Healthy eating foundation, nr. 3, ISSN: 723 -1016
5. Berechet, G. (2002) Protein digestion and influence by microwave cooking , HRB Expert Magazine, anno III nr. 24 (42)
6. Berechet, G. (2002) Vitamin and minerals retention in microwaved food – a study of Romanian, HRB Expert Magazine, anno III nr. 25 (43)
7. Berechet, G. (2002) „Fresh-like” industry – the new wave, Catering Expert – magazine, anno III nr. 15 (30)
8. Berechet, G., Savin, D. M. (1991) Hypocaloric cream – the new trend of industry, Dairy industry buletin, Vol. 6, nr. 1, Trim I, Academica, Galaţi (ISSN 1224-3655)
Berechet, G. (2006) The Practical cook’s book, CNIT – THR Bucharest
Berechet, G. (2016) The professional cool book, Imprima, Bucharest, ISBN 978-606-94219-1-8 (2017) – Second edition
Berechet, G. (2018) The confectioner end pastry’s book, Imprima, Bucharest, ISBN 978-606-94219-2-5
More than 100 articles about food processing, food science and technology in specialized Horeca magazines end news-papers.